Dates and facts from Carinthia's Natural Arena
The term “Carinthia’s Natural Arena“ is not an expression that can be found on a map. Geographically, the Natural Arena is clearly defined, and covers the Gailtal, Gitsch and Lesachtal valleys, the crystal clear lake Weissensee and the Nassfeld-Hermagor region.
In both winter and summer this region, which lies in south-western Carinthia right on the frontier with Italy, is considered the most varied and diverse area for holidaying in the Alps:
- Over 1,000 km of marked trails from 600m up to 2,800m
- Numerous secured climbs in the Carnic and Gailtaler Alps, rock climbing practice areas for adults and children
- 26 themed trails like geo-trails, water experience path, mill trails, peace trails, long distance trails (Carinthian Altitude Trail / KHW 403)
- Lake Weissensee and lake Pressegger See bathing lakes (up to 28°C) of drinking water quality, natural bathing pools, indoor pools
- Steamer trips and cableways
- 150 km of cycle tracks and 800 km of mountain bike trails (crossing frontiers)
- Numerous farmed alpine pastures with cheese dairies (Gailtaler Almkäse – EU protected)
- Adventures in the Alps – the best holiday region in the Alps for the easily available adventure - Over 52 different adventure experiences: Canyoning, rafting, Huckepack cycle tour, 5 peak flight, panning for gold, fairy tale ride, 1st Carinthian experience park, Mega Dive – biggest swing in the Alps, and much more
- Attractive Spring and Autumn packages
- Culinary festivals like the Gailtal Bacon Festival (Gailtaler Speck bacon – EU protected), Cheese Festival (Gailtaler Almkäse cheese – EU protected), Polenta Festival, award-winning restaurants
- Fit and active with sailing, surfing, diving, water-skiing, tennis, riding, running, fishing, etc.